Common Causes of Structural Home Fires in NYS.
Structural home fires are a serious issue in New York State, and understanding the most common causes can help homeowners take steps to prevent them. Here are some of the most frequent causes of structural home fires in the state:
Cooking equipment: Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in New York State. It's important to never leave cooking equipment, such as stoves or ovens, on when you're not in the kitchen.
Heating equipment: Another common cause of structural home fires in New York State is malfunctioning heating equipment. This includes things like furnaces, boilers, and space heaters. It's important to have your heating equipment inspected and serviced regularly to ensure it's working properly.
Electrical issues: Electrical fires can happen due to faulty wiring or overloading of electrical circuits. It's important to have an electrician inspect your home's wiring and to not overload outlets with too many devices.
Smoking: Careless smoking is another common cause of structural home fires. Smokers should always use ashtrays and never leave lit cigarettes unattended.
Candles: Candles can be a fire hazard if left unattended or placed too close to flammable objects. It's important to never leave candles burning when you're not in the room and to keep them away from things like curtains or furniture.
By understanding the most common causes of structural home fires, homeowners can take steps to prevent them from happening. These include practicing safe cooking habits, having heating equipment inspected and serviced regularly, being aware of electrical hazards, being cautious when smoking, and using candles safely.