top of page

How to: Properly Shocking Well Water

Shocking a well water is a process of introducing chlorine or other disinfectants into the water to kill bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. It is an important step in maintaining the safety and cleanliness of your well water. There are several ways to properly shock a well water, but one common method is to use household bleach. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Turn off the power to the well pump. This is an important safety precaution to prevent electrical shock.

  2. Measure the water flow rate in gallons per minute (GPM) using a flow meter. This will help you determine the amount of bleach you need to add to the water.

  3. Calculate the amount of bleach you need to add to the water by using the following formula:

Amount of bleach = (Water flow rate in GPM) x (Contact time in minutes) x (Chlorine demand)

  1. Contact time is the amount of time the water needs to be in contact with the bleach to effectively kill bacteria and other microorganisms. A contact time of 30 minutes is usually recommended. Chlorine demand is the amount of chlorine needed to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. A chlorine demand of 0.5 parts per million (ppm) is usually recommended.

  2. Once you have calculated the amount of bleach you need, add it to the well water. You can do this by pouring the bleach directly into the well or by using a chemical feed pump.

  3. Run the water for at least 30 minutes to ensure that the bleach has had sufficient contact time with the water.

  4. After the contact time has passed, turn the power back on to the well pump and run the water for at least 30 minutes to flush out any remaining bleach.

  5. Test the water for chlorine residual after the flush period to ensure the water is safe to use.

  6. Repeat the process if necessary, or as recommended by your local health department or water professional.

It is important to note that different states and localities may have different regulations and guidelines for shocking a well water. It is always best to consult with a local water professional or health department before attempting to shock your well water.

In conclusion, shocking a well water is an important step in maintaining the safety and cleanliness of your water supply. By following the steps outlined above, you can effectively kill bacteria and other harmful microorganisms and ensure that your well water is safe to use.




Opmerkingen


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page